Final Fantasy XV was officially unveiled at this year’s E3, and while it’s no longer known as Final Fantasy Versus XIII, it retains the story and characters that originally appeared in the seven years prior. Today, Square Enix released the official English synopsis of said characters as well as the main gist of the plot.
The only crystal left to the world lies in the Kingdom of Lucis. Upon striking a peace with the garrison state of Niflheim, Lucis rejoices in having at last brought the cold war to a close. Their celebrations, however, are premature. Under the guise of amity, Niflheim dispels the anti-armament runewall and launches a full-scale invasion of the kingdom. The peaceful lives Crown Prince Noctis and his entourage once knew are consumed by the flames of war as they struggle to mount a resistance.
Noctis, Gladiolus, Ignis, Prompto, and Cor are the five characters seen in the keyart above. All of them serve the Lucis Kingdom in some respect and are associate themselves with the Crown Prince.
• Noctis Lucis Caelum: A childhood affliction endowed Noctis, heir apparent to the throne of Lucis, with the mystical power to see a heavenly light, through which he could sense others’ deaths. Noctis rejects rigid royal conventions and acts as somewhat of a renegade, much to the dismay of those who tend to him. Yet while “Noct” may act brash at times, he does so in defense of those loyal to him.
• Gladiolus Amicitia: As lord of the noble House Amicitia, Gladiolus continues a line sworn to protect the crown. “Gladio” shares a friendship with Noctis that transcends birth and title, and his loyalty to his liege is born not of duty, but of brotherhood.
• Ignis Stupeo* Scientia: Ever the unwavering voice of reason, Ignis was weaned on shrewd logic and a classical education from boyhood so that he might one day counsel the would-be king, Noctis. He applies the deep mutual understanding and trust they have built over time to help smooth over Noctis’s brusqueness with others.
* Middle name has been included in Japanese press, but excluded here.
• Prompto Argentum: The puckish playboy Prompto befriended Noctis in his school days. He wears a chip on his shoulder as an outsider to the royal circle, but remains eager to do all he can for the cause.
• Cor Leonis: A living legend of Lucian lore, Lord Commander Cor Leonis’s devotion to the art of war is surpassed only by that to his king. Little love is lost between the ill-starred stalwart and Noctis’s retinue, yet honor binds him to keep watch over the group all the same.
Unofficially, additional characters that appear are: King Regis Lucis Caelum CXIII, king of the Lucis kingdom and father of Noctis, the leader of Niflheim Idola Eldercapt, and Stella Nox Fleuret — a youth from Tenebrae who, like Noctis, can also see the “light of expiring souls”.
Square Enix also confirmed the following staff attached to the project: Shinji Hashimoto (producer), Tetsuya Nomura (director and character designer), Hajime Tabata (co-director), Takeshi Nozue (lead art director), and Yoko Shimomura (composer). Also credited in the announcement trailer for character design is Roberto Ferrari, who previously worked on The Last Remnant and Moon Diver.
Final Fantasy XV will release on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One — a release date has not yet been announced.