Join Square Enix North America’s Matt “Bayohne” Hilton, Morten Haugaard, and David Yang for the PAX East Final Fantasy XI+XIV panel, scheduled to begin on the top of the hour. The subject will include Square Enix’s two upcoming MMOs, especially the Seekers of Adoulin launch next week and A Realm Reborn this year. The team will be debuting some new art from the game, so stay tuned for surprises!
Final Fantasy Series 25th Anniversary
- Morten Thor Haugaard takes the stage!
- The panel begins with a retrospective of the numbered Final Fantasy titles.
Final Fantasy XI: Seekers of Adoulin
- Matt “Bayohne” Hilton takes the stage!
- A preface of Seekers of Adoulin, out next Tuesday.
- Matt outlines the Geomancer, a unit that relies on party buffs and debuffs through Geocolure and Indicolure spells.
- The Rune Fencer is next, a class that uses runes elemental resistances as a tool to tank for the party.
- The launch trailer for Seekers of Adoulin is shown. (You can watch the JP version here in the meantime.)
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
- Morten Haugaard takes the stage, thanking players for sticking with the game thusfar.
- A message from Yoshi-P is played live for the audience.
- Morten walks us through the story of A Realm Reborn.
- The three pillars of the story include the Primals, the Empire, and the Grand Companies. Beastmen summon the Primals (Eidolons) into Eorzea as they worship them as gods, but consume the planet’s aether (a kind of lifeforce tied to crystals) to do so. The Garlean Empire launches a ruthless invasion into Eorzea to put a stop to the beastmen. The Grand Companies (and Free Companies by extension) of Eorzea, of which the player character can ally, band together to fight the Empire. The story will revolve around the crystals as the “lifeblood” of the planet.
- The team is looking into incorporating many summons from the series as Primals in Final Fnatasy XIV.
- Morten explains the Armoury system, with different jobs like Warrior, White Mage, and Black Mage.
- The team shows off a new equipment set for a Disciple of Magic, and a chocobo(?) set of gear that looks hilarious.
- Airships and chocobos will be featured as a mode of transportation, the former will shuttle you between city-states.
- Chocobos will fight alongside you, and can be customized through their barding (armor). Chocobos will be able to tank, deal damage, or heal.
- Some Final Fantasy VII references (that are not hinted at yet) have yet to be revealed!
- Matt shows off the gamepad UI that will be implemented in beta phase 2, which will also work for the PS3 version.
- The benchmark trailer for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is shown. (You can watch that here.)
- Limit Breaks, a system where players can charge up a special meter in a party, will be fully revealed later.
Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD
- The trailer was censored on stream, but will go live on March 25th. More about the game here.
The panel concludes with a trivia session.