The Final Fantasy XIV Fan Festival in London is about to begin! We’ll be covering all the major updates in our post below:
Stream Schedule: Saturday 25th October, 10.00 – 21:00 BST/GMT+1
10.00 – 10:30: Live Stream Begins
10:30 – 12:00: Opening Ceremony / Keynote (Premium Stream Only)
• Square Enix is in talks for size and location of EU data centers.
• Yoshi-P reiterates that the optional item shop is “NO PAY TO WIN”. You’ll be able to obtain the minions, etc., in game.
• You’ll be able to use flying mounts, including single rider airships, in Heavensward areas. With flying chocobo, you can jump and take off into the sky! Seven flying mounts will be available, movement/fly speed will be increased too.
• The Heavensward Collectors’ Edition will include a figurine of one of the flying mounts.
• The Vanu Vanu beast tribe worships Bismarck, a new primal for Heavensward.
• The Gnath beast tribe worships Ravana, a brand-new primal for Heavensward.
• Dark Knight is a greatsword (two-handed) tank Job. It has no base class!? It wields a weapon and the power of Darkness!
• What’s the next Job? It’ll be revealed at the Tokyo FanFest. Our hint? Yoshi-P sports a 007 tee-shirt and… gun?
• Where is the Easter spriggan hat? Yoshi-P thinks it’s a Veteran reward, but they’ll put it in Treasure Hunt chests.
13:00 – 14:00: Q&A with the development team
• The team is looking into adding a name flag for roleplayers to show they are in or out of character.
• Takai wants to consider a gear option that will make Monks look like they’re fighting bare-handed.
• DX11 support is in the final phase, optimization is underway. By the end of the year they want to show a comparison.
• The team will consider the ability to watch TP in the future for Bards using songs.
• Heavensward will support PS3, and the 4.0 expansion will require the team to make a decision for ongoing support.
• The team will consider, going forward, the ability to customize the flying text.
• They’d like to make job-specific Limit Breaks for Heavensward.
14:15 – 15:00: Live Q&A with special guest
• A system to change your name will be implemented soon — it’s almost ready!
• The team will consider giving everyone a Hildibrand /pose.
• The next level of the Zodiac weapon chain may feature a change in graphics, since they don’t think they can make it shinier!
• More, longer beards? Looks like they’ll consider it.
16:00 – 17:00: Trailer Developer Panel
• Final Fantasy XIV‘s cinematics are created by Visual Works, an in-house team focused on CG for Square Enix games.
• Yoshi-P prepares the synopsis. He’s not very good at drawing so he expresses himself through text.
• Visual Works interprets Yoshi-P’s ideas and transforms them into a storyboard, and then the final visualization.
• The “Trailer Hero” started off as an Archer in Version 1.0’s opening, then Job changed to Warrior, and in Heavensward is a Dragoon.
• The Visual Works team is continuing to work on the Heavensward opening trailer.
• Assistant director Hiroshi Takai created the Limit Break trailer, but since then he’s made all the patch trailers. The camera is controlled by a controller and the players are the dev team. Takai directs them to move and act accordingly.
17:10 – 17:40: Live interview with Masayoshi Soken & Michael-Christopher Koji Fox
• Soken says that more 1.0 music could return, but only if the experience matches — or “feels right”.
• He gets inspired by playing content in the game, or by requests from the developers that want a certain type of song.
• Koji says that some of the pop-culture references in the lore help keep a distant feeling at bay, light-hearted compared to more heavy story elements.
• Koji and Banri Oda would love the chance to have an in-game lore library.
• Koji is working on naming conventions for the new playable race and beast tribes in Heavensward.
18:00 – 19:00: Costume Contest
20:00 – 21:00: Closing Ceremony (Premium Stream Only)